Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hatha - Day 9

I mentioned before how one of the neat things about doing Astanga is that I am able to focus on each pose as I do it, primarily because I don't have to figure out or worry about what comes next or how to get there. What I am going to do is already decided, I only have to focus on doing it.

On the flip side, being in class and having someone (the teacher) guiding you through each movement, and often adding cues for inhaling and exhaling offers the same benefit. Maybe I noticed that this week in class because I had also noticed it in my personal practice. Or maybe feeling that relief comes as a reflection of my underlying feelings about playing that role for myself. Do I trust the Astanga practice to guide me adequately? Am I feeling insecure about my ability to perform the asanas accurately and safely on my own? Or is it simply an enhanced appreciation for the trust I have built in my regular teachers and familiar environments?

Maybe some of each. Class on tuesday was more a mental endurance challenge than a physical one - which is not to discount either as better or worse than the other. Some of the best classes I've taken have been the ones that take a few basic postures and turn them into a mind-blowing exercise in will power and humility. This week though, the mental focus was almost a vacation from some of the physically challenging aspects of Astanga.

No comments: