Sunday, March 15, 2009

You've been walking, when you could have been flying




The other day I had a moment when I had to honestly come to terms with my own mortality. It's a topic I've given plenty of thought to, read a lot of books and theories about, and pondered more than is probably normal. But in that moment everything I thought I believed went out the window - all my intellect, my faiths, my beliefs, my philosophies left me. I was left with only my physical self and my mind. Probably one of the most terrifying moments I've ever experienced. Also one of the most empowering, because after a tremendous amount of anxiety and stress and dwelling on the issue, I came to the realization that in that moment I was alive. And, I'm alive today. Right now, in fact. So from now on, everyday, I'm going to remind myself of that fact. Armed with this epiphany, and the memory of that moment, I will remind myself that I am alive.

You are alive too. What are you going to do about it?

No comments: