Friday, March 27, 2009

Ads for Crisis Pregnancy Centers on my Metro Bus




Ick.
I got on my usual metro bus this morning here in DC to find the inside of the bus wallpapered with ads for "Free Abortion Alternatives"
The ads feature a picture of a young woman of color, and list four phone numbers - one each in NW, NE, Cap Hill and Silver Spring. They announce 1) Free confidential options counseling, 2) Free pregnancy testing, and 3) Free Service. There was no company name (i.e. name of the centers, health organization or anything) to indicate who you would be calling. The ads simply say " Paid for by the Vitae Foundation" which I looked up - actually the Vitae Caring Foundation www.vitaecaringfoundation.org

Being a huge fan of public transportation and a huge supporter of Metro, I totally understand how crucial advertisements are as a form of revenue and financial support for WMATA. However, I have to wonder if it isn't a conflict for Metro to take support from private organizations who promote misinformation and scare tactics from a moral standpoint, particularly aimed at lower income and minority communities in a city like DC, which already struggles with a high rate of homeless children and families.

The bus was literally wallpapered, end to end, with these ads. I took some pics with my phone, and pondered whether it would even be worth it to get off the bus (I decided against it since I had already paid the fare.. they have my money so no big deal whether I'm on the bus for six more blocks or not).

As far as advertising goes, I don't know what the answer is to the question of whether a company like Metro, which relies so heavily on revenue from those ads, should be discriminant in whose ads they accept on the basis of ethics. I see many sides of the argument, and I definitely understand the business perspective. Ultimately I feel it is irresponsible of Metro to run ads for a company, foundation, or organization that deliberately jeopardizes women's health through misinformation and lacks respect for their autonomy. I will be expressing my concern and distaste to WMATA.

Some links on CPC's, which are full of other links..seriously..I had thousands to choose from. You can't make this stuff up -

RHReality Check's April (Don't Be) Fool(ed) article on CPCs

Exposing Anti-Choice Abortion Clinics

Chicago Tribune report on CPCs

Crisis Pregnancy Centers and Outreach to Minority Women

2 comments:

The Sexist said...

Hey, I was on a Metro Bus this morning and saw the same thing---the whole thing papered with this nonsense. And you're trapped on the bus! You can't just turn away and avoid the ad. I'd love to use your photo on my blog (with credit). Would you mind if I reposted it?

---Amanda

Kat said...

Feel free to use the image, Amanda. Link back to my original post if you could please :)

I want so badly to take them down when I see them, but my conscience starts to chirp about free speech..