Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sivananda, Day 7

Ah Sunday.
Nothing like trekking through 30 inches of snow for nearly a mile on unscraped sidewalks and roads to go to yoga. On my way back, a couple even asked me if I had a good class! I did!

Sunday is Sivananda day - or 'Steveananda' as we like to call it because Steve teaches it. One of the best classes every week, because in all its simplicity it is as challenging or relaxing as I want it to be. There is no place I would rather be on a Sunday night than at yoga, keeping my mind clear from the stress of the upcoming week and remembering what's really important.

Sivananda yoga, like Astanga, consists of a set of poses that are traditionally performed every day. Sivananda is gentler than Astanga by a long shot, with a focus on relaxation. Inversions are done at the beginning, and standing poses are done at the end. The class has definitely become my weekend retreat of sorts. I also learn a lot about myself, and my mental and physical state, in that class. Because the class isn't necessarily physically intense, the little things come to the surface. And with all the time spent in savasana, it is not difficult to completely forget you are in yoga class if you don't keep your mind present.

In recognizing all the folks who were without power during this winter storm, or who suffered collapsed roofs or frozen pipes, or house fires, or simply didn't have enough heat, I was also reminded how very fortunate I am. My apartment is cozy and warm. I have food in my pantry, and warm clothes to wear. I have electricity and internet and hot water. I can even bundle up and trek out to the grocery store or a yoga class. Being able to take yoga at a studio, especially such a great one with such great teachers and fellow students, is a luxury. One I am incredibly grateful and humbled to have. With luxury comes responsibility - I have this knowledge of yoga, and I know that while many people do yoga in fancy studios with teachers and classes and 'yoga clothes', ultimately none of that is necessary. Anyone can do yoga, and anyone who does yoga will benefit from it. It is my responsibility to share my knowledge so that other people can know yoga and do yoga and benefit from it.

No comments: