Monday, January 4, 2010

Light on my cold

We all know that B.K.S. Iyengar's Light on Yoga is considered the 'bible' of the yoga world.
I have tremendous respect for Iyengar and his book, though I can't say it's generally first in my choice of resources for yoga literature.

That said, I do own a copy of Light on Yoga, and I have recently also been the unenthusiastic recipient of a seasonal cold. [TMI Warning] Seriously, I'm going on 15 days. I spent the first 10 days in stage one - you know, the part where you feel like you are getting a cold, so you physically feel bad, your nose and sinuses and head burn and ache, blah blah blah. I still have some light sinus drainage happening but no nasal congestion (go neti pot!) and I have a reasonably productive cough happening. My chest doesn't hurt, nor my head. So I have reason to believe I am on the mend.

So today, I wanted to pick back up on my asana practice but I was a little concerned about which poses to do. Enter Light on Yoga. In the Appendix of this book, Iyengar provides a guide to yoga asana relative to common physical conditions. Often times if you are not in good health, it is recommended that you not do asana practice. This is obviously also relative to the specific ailment you are experiencing. Anywho, I decided to try the prescribed asanas for Cold according to Iyengar. They are:
Sirsasana (and cycle); Sarvangasana (and cycle); Uttanasana; Paschimottanasana; Kurmasana and Supta Kurmasana; Yoganidrasana; Ujjayi Pranayama with inhalation retention.
*because I also have minor congestion in my chest I also added Nadi Shodana, which is recommended for bronchitis.

I performed all these asanas, though my kurmasanas were poor because i'm just not proficient in them. I also finished with a restorative supta baddha konasana because it just feels so good.

We will see tomorrow if the prescribed asanas, along with the other therapeutic measures (specific diet, lots of warm teas and extra rest) help my recovery!


Iyengar lists 2 requisites to the Practice of Asana, the first of which states
"Without firm foundations a house cannot stand. Without the practice of the principles of yama and niyama, which lay down firm foundations for building character, there cannot be an integrated personality. Practice of asanas without the backing of yama and niyama is mere acrobatics."

It hasn't been easy deciding to refrain from asana practice while I've been sick. My body loves asana, and asks for it when I'm not doing it. But it is important for me to discriminate between what I want to do intellectually and what is good for me, and in the case of an illness like a cold yoga asanas can sometimes do more harm than good. Not practicing asana does not mean not practicing yoga - yoga is greater than just postures, though postures are a core element - and as Iyengar states, integrating the ethical and philosophical principles of yoga is key to the 'union' that is yoga. It is an equally great undertaking to make every aspect of day to day life your yoga, beyond just yoga asanas.

No comments: